Each test taker is responsible for reading all the information within this document before completing a Kaplan International Tools for English assessment.
A. Before You Take the Test
Before you begin the registration and testing process, you need a desktop or laptop computer (not a tablet, Chromebook, iPad or mobile device) that is equipped with the following:
- Operating Systems:
- MAC: Mac OSX EI Capitan 10.15 or higher.
- PC: Windows 8 or higher.
- 8GB RAM or better.
- Dual core 2.4 GHZ CPU (Windows) or Intel/AMD Processor (MAC).
- Google Chrome or Firefox web browser.
- A webcam (this may be part of your device) 800 x 600 resolution or better.
- Speakers or headphones (including earbuds).
- An integrated or plug-in microphone (this may be part of your device).
- A photo ID (to verify your identity).
- A strong internet connection with minimum 1.5 Mbps download speed and 1.5 Mbps upload speed. (Cable modem, DSL or better).
- VPN connections/Firewalls are strongly discouraged and may result in disruption to exam delivery and eproctoring. Please note that your test must be fully proctored to be validated by our Grading Team.
- Java Script & Third-Party Cookies enabled.
You may also visit the Proctortrack website for overall Proctortrack System Requirements:
Please ensure that any devices which you intend to use during the test e.g. headphones, earbuds, microphones etc. are plugged in/switched on and fully charged before you login to Proctortrack. Please ensure that these devices are also worn throughout the test.
If you are using an external microphone, please ensure that it is positioned to be able to successfully record your audio throughout the test.
Rules & Regulations
- Your test will be remotely proctored by Proctortrack, which means you will be recorded to ensure test security. The Proctortrack software will capture a video of you and monitor your screen while you’re taking the test. You will be able to see a small window of your live video recording during your test. The video and screen captures must cover your entire test for it to be valid.
- Proctortrack will detect if you use a phone, view another screen, use a dictionary or talk to anyone during your test. It is very important that you take note of this. Any infringements will make your test invalid. You will be able to take the test again, but this is likely to be at full cost.
- You must not access any other browser, software program, or webpage during your assessment. Do not use the computer for any activities other than taking the test itself.
- You must not have, or try to use, a dictionary, pager, spell-checker (e.g Grammarly), electronic recorder, mobile phone or any pre-made notes. Any mobile phones or other devices must be turned off.
- You must not use AI text generation during your test. We use AI detection software as part of our grading process. Any tests completed using AI test generator will be invalidated.
- You must not use another screen to mirror/share your computer screen as this will be detected by the proctoring system as an unauthorised device.
- No one else can be in the test environment during the test.
- Your entire face and mouth must be visible at all times during the test. Please contact us if you need to arrange an exception to this.
- You must not plagiarise, self-plagiarise or copy from any prompt as this will be picked up by the e-proctoring and your test will be invalid.
- You must take the test in one sitting; you cannot leave the test or suspend it prior to completion.
- You are not allowed to eat or smoke while taking the test. Any drinks must be in a clear bottle.
- You must not copy or take screenshots of any part of an assessment, nor reproduce any part of the test. You may, however, use a piece of blank paper during the test to make notes or prepare your response.
- If you usually use Grammarly or a similar online writing aid, please manually disable it before you login to take the test. Failure to do so will lead to your test being marked as invalid. If you are unsure how to disable the Grammarly browser extension please click HERE for guidance.
B. Setting Up Your Proctortrack Account
Before you can begin your test, you’ll need to set up your Proctortrack account.
C. Complete Your Assessment
Problems with Kaplan International Tools for English
I logged out or was disconnected in the middle of my test.
- Log back in and continue the assessment from where you left off.
I received an error message during the assessment.
- Log out and then log back in.
I can’t hear the audio, or the audio is freezing.
- Refresh the page.
- You may have internet connectivity problems. Log out, then try logging in on a different computer or at a later time.
I can’t record audio in the Speaking section.
- Follow the directions in the assessment to allow your microphone.
I can’t upload my responses in the Speaking section.
- The Speaking section requires the use of consistent and reliable internet to record and upload responses. If you have slow or consistent internet connectivity, the recording could take up to a minute to upload successfully. Please only click the submit button once during this time. If after a minute your response won’t upload, refresh the page, continue the test, re-record your response, and try submitting again.
Contact [email protected] for any other issues with Kaplan International Tools for English.
Problems with Proctortrack
For any issues with Proctortrack, contact the Proctortrack support team at www.proctortrack.com/support/.
E. About Kaplan International Tools for English and Proctortrack
What is Kaplan International Tools for English?
Kaplan International Tools for English is an adaptive online test that assesses your level of English language proficiency in different skills. During an assessment, you may be asked to listen to conversations, read emails and articles, answer comprehension questions, write an essay, and/or speak into the microphone on your computer.
Normally, when you take a paper-based test in school, every test taker answers the same questions. Kaplan International Tools for English is different. When you take an adaptive assessment, you answer different questions than other test takers because the testing system chooses questions that match your English level.
Main Flight (Listening and Reading)
- The Listening and Reading sections of your assessment do not have a timer. Each section will end when the testing system has enough information about your English level. Don’t worry if your test is longer or shorter than other test takers’. Just take your time and do your best. However, the total average test time for Listening, and Reading is slightly over an hour.
Writing and Speaking
- The Writing and Speaking sections of your assessment do have timers. The Writing section is 35-40 minutes depending on your level. The Speaking section is about 10 minutes.
- For the Writing section, you may be asked to write an essay. You’ll have time to read the question and type your answer into the computer, then a grader will give you a score after the test is finished.
- For the Speaking section, you’ll speak into your computer’s microphone. Your answers will be recorded, and a grader will give you a score after the test is finished.
What is Proctortrack?
Proctortrack is an online proctoring service that is used to ensure test security and detect cheating. It records activity on your computer and captures video of your face while you are taking a test online. Your personal information and Proctortrack videos will only be viewed by Kaplan International Tools for English administrators and will only be used to determine whether your assessment results are valid.